Injured Worker
Due to the complexity of the claims process, most injured workers hire an attorney to file a workers' compensation claim for them. Nevertheless, employees may choose to represent themselves, but they will be held to the same standards as attorneys who present workers' compensation claims. The Department of Workers' Claims provides specialists/ombudsman to assist a claimant who is not assisted by an attorney in completing the claims forms and in gathering information needed for a claim. However, these specialists cannot act as a person's legal representative, but they can certainly be quite helpful. You can reach a specialist/ombudsman by e-mail at or you can call them at 800-554-8601.

Another helpful tool is the 2011 Workers' Compensation Guidebook.